Holi is coming, everyone is busy making “Gujiya”, the popular Holi sweet. Gujia is a sweet dumpling made with Maida and stuffed with Mawa, Rava, and Dry fruits. Making Gujiya is very time-consuming but without it Holi is incomplete. Today I am sharing an easy recipe to make Gujiya stuffing which takes less time and it has no sugar. All sweetness comes from dates, dried apricot, raisins, and jaggery.
It is quick because there is no need to chop dry fruits (which is a time-consuming task). Just roast them and mix with other roasted ingredients (Mawa, Coconut, Rava ). Grind all roasted ingredients in a grinder and its ready to use.
No Sugar Filling For Gujiya – Healthy & Quick
Homemade Mawa – 1 cup
Rava or Sooji – 1/2 cup
Dry Grated Coconut – 1/2 cup
Dry fruits – 1 cup ( Walnuts, Pistachios, Almonds, Raisins, Cashews)
Chopped Dates – 1/2 cup
Chopped Dried Apricots – 1/2 cup
Grated Jaggery – 1/2 cup
Fennel seeds – 2 tbsp
Cardamon powder – 2 tbsp
Butter or Ghee – 2 tbsp
Salt a pinch
- Heat a non-stick heavy pan and roast dry grated coconut for 5 minutes on a very low flame stirring continuously.
- Transfer roasted coconut in a bowl and keep it aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of ghee in the same pan and add all whole dry fruits. Roast them for 2-5 minutes on low flame stirring continuously. Switch off the flame and transfer to another bowl. Allow them to cool down completely.
- Now heat 1 tbsp ghee in the same pan and add Mawa. Roast for 3 minutes on a very low flame.
- Add rava and roast until mixture turns into light brown in color. Take out on a plate and allow to cool down completely.
- Take a big bowl mix roasted Mawa Rava mixture, coconut, dry fruits, chopped dates, and apricots.
- Add grated jaggery, cardamom powder, fennel seeds with a pinch of salt. Mix them nicely.
- Put prepared mixture in a grinder and grind it into a coarse powder.
- Gujiya filling is ready to use.
- Allow to cool down roasted ingredients completely before mixing them.
- You can replace jaggery with powdered white sugar or powdered brown sugar.