I have been baking for the last ten years & still, it gives me joy and the opportunity to try out something new and fresh. Baking is about mixing the right ingredients in the right amount and bake at the right temperature for the correct duration. And with experience, you understand how certain ingredients mix well with others and you can be creative with your baking.
Baking mainly includes ingredients like maida, eggs, and sugar which can hamper your toned waistline. Here is a solution. You can substitute for maida, whole milk, margarine, butter, sugar, whole eggs. Maida or all-purpose flour can be replaced with whole wheat flour. Since whole wheat flour is light, add only half the required amount.
Substitute margarine and butter with applesauce or prune puree. Refined sugar has no nutritional value replace it with honey, jaggery, brown, raw, or Demerara sugar to sweeten the goodies.
This whole wheat jaggery cake is a healthier take on the classic pound cake. This delightful cake is moist, light, and airy and a perfect companion for your evening tea. This delicious cake is egg-free, sugar-free, and refined flour-free yet turns out fluffy and moist. It contains simple ingredients and is easy to make.
Whole Wheat Flour – 1 cup + 1 tsp
Greek yogurt – 3/4 cup
Grated Jaggery – 3/4 cup
Refined Oil – 1/4 cup
Baking Soda – 1 tsp
Chopped Walnuts & Cashews – 1/2 cup + 1/8 cup
Flax Seeds and Sesame Seeds – 2 tbsp each
Fennel – 1 tbsp
A pinch of Himalayan pink salt
- In a bowl add chopped dry fruits (1/2 cup), fennel, flax seeds, sesame seeds, salt with 1 tsp of flour. Mix them well.
- In a same bowl sieve dry Ingredients – whole wheat flour, baking soda.
- Wet Ingredients: Grind milk, jaggery, oil in a mixer and make a smooth paste.
- Now mix dry ingredients with wet ingredients. Cake batter is ready to bake.
- Now tab the cake pan on a countertop to release any large air bubbles.
- Now pour prepared cake batter into the pan. Sprinkle fennel, flax seeds, sesame seeds, few cashews and walnuts over batter and with help of spatula press them gently.
- Put cake pan into the preheated pressure cooker and bake it for 1 hour.
- Adjust jaggery according to your taste.
- If Baking in Oven: Bake in the preheated oven at 180 deg Celsius or around 360 Fahrenheit for about 60 minutes. The baking time may vary. So keep checking the cake after 40 to 45 minutes.
Pressure Cooker Method :
Grease the baking tin with oil and dust it by sprinkling whole wheat flour over greased surface evenly. Pour the mixture into the greased baking tin.
- Use a baking tin of 6 inches in diameter, so that it can easily get into the pressure cooker.
- Use a 5-liter pressure cooker. It should be big enough to hold the baking pan.
- Baking Tin should be made of Aluminium.
- If baking tin comes into direct contact with the base of the pressure cooker, it can burn ( overbake ) the cake. So use pressure cooker container which has big holes in it or any aluminum small stand.
- No gasket and whistle are needed. Remove them before baking.
- Don’t add water to the pressure cooker.
How to Bake In A Pressure Cooker?
- Heat the pressure cooker on high heat for 2 minutes.
- Use sea salt or sand as a layer inside a cooker. Put a steel stand on a layer of salt or sand. Now put the cake tin containing the cake batter ( Do not put water inside the pressure cooker).
- Close the pressure cooker lid and do not put the whistle on the lid. Remove the gasket (rubber ring) from the lid. Lower the flame after 2 minutes.
- Let it bake for 60 minutes on low flame. After 60 minutes check cake with a knife, if the mixture does not stick, it means the cake is done. If batter still sticks to knife then again bake for another 10 minutes. Do not open the lid immediately.
- Eggless Pressure Cooker Cake is ready.