This week I am trying my hands on Gravies without tomatoes. First, one I have in my mind is Dahi Tofu or Dahi Wala Tofu. I have often made sabzi without any onions or garlic, like Tomato Beetroot Based Curry, Chickpea Curry with Zucchini, Tofu Lababdar No Onion No Garlic.
That is when this recipe that I had bookmarked a while ago came to my mind. This recipe is super easy and made in 20 minutes. The star of this gravy is yogurt. I am always a little scared when cooking yogurt as the base for the curry as we have to be quite careful. The yogurt could curdle very quickly if not cooked properly.
Yogurt adds a creamy tang to many dishes, from creamed spinach to curry. But when you add yogurt to a simmering sauce, it can curdle, leaving you with a saucepan full of watery liquid and chunky curds. If you add a nonfat or low-fat yogurt to a simmering sauce, it will curdle easily than the full-fat version because it does not have as much fat to protect the proteins from the heat of the sauce.
If you do not have full-fat yogurt, just add one teaspoon of flour or cornstarch per 1 cup of yogurt. Stir the flour or cornstarch into the yogurt before you add it to the sauce to prevent lumps. The starch in the flour or cornstarch prevents the proteins in the yogurt from tangling together. In this recipe, I used boiled cashews paste to prevent curdling. High heat is the root cause of curdled yogurt in cooked sauces. Lowering the heat to a bare simmer will cook the yogurt more gently, and lessen the risk of curdling.
For marinating tofu
Tofu – 300 gms
Oil – 1 tbsp
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Kasuri methi – 2 tbsp
Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
Ghee for roasting
Salt to taste
Finely chopped ginger – 3 tbsp
Dry red chili – 2
Black cardamom (seeds) – 1
Oil – 3 tbsp
Greek yogurt – 2 cups
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
Boiled cashews paste – 2 tbsp
Himalayan pink salt
For garnishing 1 tsp of dried coriander leaves powder
- Mix all the ingredients for the marination together and add tofu. Mix well.
- Add ghee to a pan. Saute tofu lightly and keep aside.
- Take yogurt, mix spices (red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, salt & boiled cashews paste) and mix till smooth.
- Heat oil in a pan (3 tbsp). Add ginger, dry red chilli and black cardamom. Saute for few minutes.
- Add yogurt mixture and cook on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Now add saute tofu and cook for 5 minutes on low heat.
- Serve and garnish with dried coriander leaves powder.