Rava Dhokla, a popular Gujarati snack, is steamed savory cakes which can be made in a variety of ways. They are soft and fluffy and are a perfect healthy breakfast or snack to enjoy with Kiwi Avocado Coriander Chutney.
Rava Dhokla is a light and healthy evening snack which is very easy to make. Rava is also known as sooji or semolina. Rava or Semolina is made up of durum wheat which means it keeps you full for a longer period of time and prevents you from overeating. Rava Dhokla is made within 15 minutes (excluding soaking time), so it’s a perfect breakfast recipe.
Rava or Semolina Ka Dhokla | Savory Steamed Cake With Semolina | Healthy Breakfast | Evening Snack – Rava Dhokla
The light yet filling snack is a healthy option and just perfect for evening snacks with a cup of hot tea. This dhokla recipe can be prepared in 20 minutes that makes it a great option for snacks when unexpected guests arrive.
Fine Rava – 1 cup
Curd – 1/2 cup
Water – 1 cup
Oil – 1 tbsp
Eno – 1 tsp
Lemon juice – 3 tbsp + 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Mustard seeds or Rai – 1/2 tsp
White Sesame seeds – 1 tbsp
Curry leaves – 4-6 leaves
Oil – 1/2 tbsp
Water – 4 tbsp
Chopped green chili – 1
- Mix all ingredients except Eno and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Keep 2 cups of water in a deep kadhai and put a stand in it. Cover it and let it boil for 5 minutes.
- Now add Eno in a dhokla batter and pour 1 tsp of lemon juice over it. Mix it well.
- Pour batter into a greased dhokla pan and steam for 15 minutes. Check with a toothpick if it comes out clean then it’s done. Allow it cool down.
- Heat oil in a small pan. First, add the mustard seeds. Let them pop first.
- Add curry leaves and white sesame seeds, and allow to crackle. Then add chopped green chili. Now add water, let it boil for 1 minute. Switch off the flame.
- Spread tempering over dhokla and cut into the desired shape and enjoy.
- Enjoy with green chutney or sauce.
If you don’t have fine sooji just grind normal sooji into the mixer.
If dhokla doesn’t turn out spongy it may be for the following reasons:
- When the batter has not enough moisture.
- Keeping the batter for a long time after adding Eno.
- Steaming on high flame for a long time.
- If Rava is not properly soaked the dhokla will not be spongy.
One response to “Rava or Semolina Ka Dhokla | Savory Steamed Cake With Semolina | Healthy Breakfast”
Looks yummy 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person