Coconut is commonly used as ingredients in a variety of recipes. Its white, fleshy part is used to prepare various dishes like ice cream, cookies, cakes. It is also used to make gravy for vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes. In this cake recipe, I used desiccated coconut with whole wheat flour, sugar, and milk. Desiccated coconut is crisp, snow white in color and has a sweet pleasant with a nutty flavor.
This cake will give you a taste of the tropical and it tastes great with a hot cup of tea or coffee. This cake has No Butter, No All Purpose Flour and No Egg which make this cake super healthy and a perfect tea time partner. Coconut lovers do try this cake.
Whole Wheat Flour – 1 cup
Powdered Sugar – 1/2 cup
Desiccated Coconut – 3/4 cup + 1/4 cup
Baking Powder – 3/4 tsp ( 1/2 + 1/4 tsp)
Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
Refined Oil – 1/4 cup
Milk – 3/4 cup
A pinch of salt
- Dry Ingredients: Shift whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt twice and keep it aside.
- Wet Ingredients: Now add milk, sugar, oil in a grinder until smooth.
- Now mix wet ingredients with dry ingredients, coconut powder. Mix them well.
- Put batter into a greased pan. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of coconut powder over prepared cake batter and with help of spatula press gently.
- Tab the cake pan on a countertop to release any large air bubbles.
- Put the cake pan into the preheated pressure cooker and bake it for 1 hour.
- Adjust sugar according to your taste.
- You can also use brown sugar instead of white sugar.
- Baking time may vary.
- If cake batter looks dry, add 2- 4 tbsp of milk.
- If baking in Oven: Bake in the preheated oven at 180 deg Celsius or around 360 Fahrenheit for about 1 hour. The baking time may vary. So keep checking the cake after 40 to 45 minutes.
Pressure Cooker Method:
Grease the baking tin with oil and dust it by sprinkling whole wheat flour over greased surface evenly. Pour the mixture into the greased baking tin.
- Use the baking tin of 6 inches in diameter, so that it can easily get into the pressure cooker.
- Use a 5-liter pressure cooker. It should be big enough to hold the baking pan.
- Baking Tin should be made of Aluminium.
- If baking tin comes into direct contact with the base of the pressure cooker, it can burn ( overbake ) the cake. So use pressure cooker container which has big holes in it or any aluminum small stand.
- No gasket and whistle are needed. Remove them before baking.
- Don’t add water to the pressure cooker.
How to Bake In A Pressure Cooker?
- Heat the pressure cooker on high heat for 2 minutes. Use sea salt or sand as a layer inside a cooker. Put a steel stand on a layer of salt or sand.
- Now put the cake tin containing the cake batter ( Do not put water inside the pressure cooker).
- Close the pressure cooker lid and do not put the whistle on the lid. Remove the gasket (rubber ring) from the lid.
- Lower the flame after 2 minutes. Let it bake for 50 -60 minutes on low flame. After 60 minutes check cake with a knife, if the mixture does not stick, it means the cake is done.
- If batter still sticks to knife then again bake for another 10 minutes. Do not open the lid immediately.
- Eggless Pressure Cooker Cake is ready.