Palak Chana Dal is a healthy, wholesome, gluten-free Indian style chana dal with spinach. It is super easy and delicious lunch recipe to prepare and best is serve with steamed white rice.
Indian cooking is resisted with the huge use of chana dal in different ways. Chana dal is baby chickpeas that has been split and polished. It has a delicious nutty flavour, and when ground, it is known as besan or gram flour. The flour and the dal are used in a variety of lip-smacking dishes.
Spinach is a green, leafy vegetable with a high nutritional value. You can have it raw in salads, steamed, blended in a soup or sauteed with other veggies. It is a very versatile ingredient that can be used in many ways. For me, the best way to add spinach is to cook with lentils and beans. Earlier, I shared recipe spinach with rajma and whole green moong dal with spinach as well.
Chana Dal With Palak | Spinach Split Pea Dal | Easy Lunch Recipe
Split chickpeas (chana dal) and spinach are the powerhouses of nutrients. Combining these two into a single curry is delicious idea to include the right amount of iron in our everyday diet.
Chana dal ( soaked overnight ) – 1 cup
Spinach – 2 bunches
Puree of onion – 2
Finely chopped ginger – 2 inch
Finely chopped garlic – 4
Finely chopped green chilly- 2
Puree of tomatoes – 2
Juice of one lemon
Oil – 4 tbsp
Butter – 1 cube
Cumin – 1 tsp
Kitchen king masala – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 3 tsp
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Put soaked chana dal with 2 cups of water, a pinch of salt, in a pressure cooker. Mix them well and pressure cook for 3 whistles. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Remove stems from the spinach and wash thoroughly in running water. Blanch in salted boiling water for two minutes. Now transfer boiled spinach into ice-cold water to retain the green color. Squeeze out excess water and grind it into a smooth puree (Add lemon juice while grinding). Keep It aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a deep non-stick pan and add cumin seeds.
- Allow the seeds to crackle. Then add onion puree and saute on a medium flame until translucent. Now add ginger, garlic, green chili, and cook for 5 minutes on the medium-low flame.
- Then add tomato puree and cook until they’re soft. Then add red chili powder, coriander powder, kitchen king masala, salt, and cook until masala leaves oil on low flame.
- Add boiled chana dal in a prepared masala and cook for 5 minutes on the medium-low flame.
- Now add puree spinach and cook on low flame for 5 minutes.
- Then add one butter cube and mix them well. Close the lid and cook dal for 2-5 minutes on high flame.
- Yummy dal is ready to serve. Serve with plain white rice.