These Zucchini Fries are easy to make, tastes great and they are so much healthier when baked in the oven. They are delicious and just melt in your mouth. They can be served as an appetizer, as a side dish, as an evening snack.
Zucchini can be cooked in so many ways and used for many things. Some people enjoy them grilled, sauteed, baked, the options are endless. I love to use zucchini in baking, in curries, or even making sweet dishes as well.
Zucchini is also used as filling veggies in stir-fry, soups, as a side dish, in replacement of fries, mostly as a low carb option veggie to make meals more filling. There are endless ways you can incorporate Zucchini into your diet.
With a few ingredients, you will get crispy, healthy, and delicious fries. For this recipe, I used chickpea and oats flour breading ingredients to pack in extra nutrients and protein. Then coated zucchini fries with corn flakes crumbs which makes fries crispy and tasty.
Gram flour or Chickpea flour is popularly used in Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi and other cuisines. It is a great gluten-free substitute for wheat or all-purpose flour in many recipes, and can also be used to thicken sauces or curries. Oats flour is one of my favorite and one of the easiest to use ingredients. I never missed any chance to add oats in my cooking. It helps thicken gravies, work as healthy substitutes for refined flours and grains.
Oven Baked Zucchini Fries | Healthy Snack
One of the fabulous veggies of summer is Zucchini and fries made with fresh zucchini is an ultimate, healthy snack to enjoy. It’s a fabulous way to use up all that extra zucchini and added nutrition is just a bonus.
1 medium size Zucchinis cut into fries
For Chickpea Batter:
Gram flour or besan or Chickpea – 1/2 cup
Oat flour – 1/4 cup
Water – 1/2 cup
Roasted cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
Red chili powder – 1/2 tsp
Himalayan pink salt to taste
- Cut zucchini into fries and pat dry with a kitchen towel.
- For Chickpea Batter – Mix all ingredients mentioned under the chickpea batter and make a smooth batter. Keep it aside for 10 minutes.
- For Corn Flakes Crumbs – Grind corn flakes with all garlic powder, red chili flakes, black pepper powder, Himalayan pink salt to taste in a hand grinder mixer jar. Take out on a plate and keep it aside.
- Set up your “workstation“: Chickpea Batter, Cornflakes Crumbs, Zucchinis fries, the Baking tray with butter paper.
- Take a zucchini fry and roll in the Chickpea Batter mixture until coated from both sides. Then coat in the cornflakes crumbs.
- Line a baking tray with butter paper. Transfer coated zucchini fries onto the baking sheet.
- Preheat an oven 180 C. Bake for 30 minutes and bake until golden brown. Serve warm with ketchup or your favorite dipping sauce or with greek yogurt.
Tip: Use two forks, one for Corn Flakes Crumbs and one for Chickpea Batter. This helps to keep things clean.