As India celebrates its 75th Independence Day on 15th August 2021, we must remember the rich and diverse culture of our country that has been carried forward for so many years. It starts with hoisting the national flag early in the morning, kids singing patriotic songs as well as an exchange of sweets and greetings. People enjoy the day with their families at home by watching patriotic programs on television and fly kites with friends that symbolize a culture of free spirit and freedom.
Since the day is all about celebrating the country’s freedom besides vibrant and diverse culture, what better than celebrating it through food? Food is one of the best ways of celebrating an occasion or expressing your emotions. Whenever there is an occasion for celebration, the first thing to come to our minds is to cook delicious and elaborate meals for it. So it is only given that we celebrate such an important event of Indian history with food.
This Independence day while we may not be able to go out and watch the Indian flag being hoisted, here’s a simple and healthy recipe that you can make that both adults and kids will enjoy. Sandwiches are very easy to make and for a tricolor sandwich, you can use different ingredients to give it Indian flag colors. For orange, I used grated carrot and snack tomato. For white, mozzarella cheese. For green, avocado, and green kiwi. Just take a few slices of bread and include ingredients of your choice. As it’s a non-heat recipe, your kids can easily make it too.
Fresh bread – 2 slices
Avocado Spread :
1 Ripe Avocados, pitted and peeled
Black salt – 1/4 tsp
Juice of half lime
Black pepper to taste, optional
Sliced cucumber – 1 small
Snack Tomatoes, sliced
Green Kiwi (sliced) – 2
Mozzarella cheese & slice
Grated carrot– 1 small
Other Ingredients :
Juice of one lemon, Salt to taste
- Lightly toast your sliced bread until golden brown in a toaster.
- Chop, slice, and keep topping ready.
- In a bowl add grated carrot. Mix little lemon juice and salt. Keep it aside.
- In a bowl, mash together 3 ripe avocados with the help of frock. Mix lime juice, black salt, and black pepper. Mix it well and Avocado spread is ready.
- First sandwich – Place sliced snack tomato, mozzarella cheese and then avocado spread with some cucumber slices. Finally place a blueberry on mozzarella cheese.
- Second sandwich – Place sliced snack tomatoes , mozzarella cheese slice and then sliced kiwi with some avocado spread. Finally place a blueberry on mozzarella cheese slice.