Well, it is fall/autumn and time for pumpkins to reach their peak in flavor, nutrition, and I love pumpkin – a vibrant carrot pumpkin soup topped with noodles. Bursting with flavor, this comforting, vegetarian soup comes alive with hearty pumpkin, sweet carrots. The pumpkin and carrot combo creates such an incredible flavor.
For the spices in this soup, I used a combination of Himalayan pink salt, black pepper with little butter. These little spices brighten up the sweet and delicate flavors of the carrot and pumpkin and add a lot of health benefits. This pumpkin and carrot soup is made using a handful of ingredients and is ready in no time.
Although this soup is naturally thick and creamy thanks to the pumpkin and carrots, you can also add a dash of plant-based cream or milk to make the soup extra creamy. Also, make sure to add your favorite toppings like flaked chili pepper, fresh parsley, or pumpkin seeds.
I used the steaming method for making this soup. Steaming softens vegetables while maintaining most of their nutrients, especially water-soluble compounds that are damaged by heat. Whether you use an electric steamer, a bamboo steamer, or a microwaveable plastic bag or dish, steam vegetables will retain more texture, flavor, and nutritional value when you prepare them with this indirect form of heat and moisture.
Once soft and tender, puree either in a blender jar or use an immersion blender. Adjust consistency, season with salt and more black pepper, and simmer until all the flavors have amalgamated. Super a simple and tasty recipe.
Pumpkin – 300 gms (deseeded, peeled and cubed)
Roughly chopped carrots – 2
Water – 2 cups
Noodles – 1 cup
Butter – 1 tbsp
Fresh black pepper – 1/2 tsp
Himalayan pink salt to taste
Fresh coriander leaves or dried coriander leaves garnishing
- Boil 2 cups water in a large pot or a deep pan and bring it to boil over medium flame. When it comes to rolling boil, add dried noodles.
- Boil until noodles are soft, it will take around 4-5 minutes. Stir occasionally in between.
- Turn off the flame and transfer it to colander to drain excess water. Pour 1-2 cups cold water over boiled noodles and drain again to remove excess stickiness ( stop cooking process as well)
- Chop pumpkin and carrots into the most uniform pieces. The thicker the veggie, the longer it will take to cook. Fill a pot with approximately half an inch of water.
- Cover the lid and let it boil the water on high flame for 5 minutes. Place metal colander with veggies in a pot and cover the pot with a lid.
- Let it steam for good 20 minutes on medium- low heat.
- After 20 minutes open the lid and check veggies for doneness by inserting a knife into the thickest part of the vegetable. They should also appear vibrant and colorful.
- Allow to cool down the steamed veggies completely. Then blend to smooth puree (add 1 cup of water)
- Heat butter in a pan and add vegetables puree with 1 cup of water.
- Allow to boil till thickens (approx 8 minutes). Then add pepper, salt boiled noodles and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour the prepared soup into bowl and garnish with fresh coriander leaves or dried coriander leaves.