Have you ever had pumpkin jam before? It is so good :). Delicious Pumpkin Jam that tastes like pumpkin pie. This homemade pumpkin jam recipe made with a spicy flavor is perfect for tarts, pies, or slathered on warm toast in the morning breakfast. This jam is delicious and super easy to make.
Package this jam in decorative jars for a perfect gift this holiday season as well. I have been all about pumpkin EVERYTHING this season. I seriously just want to make all the things with pumpkin.
For making this pumpkin jam steamed the pumpkin instead of boiling it. Steaming softens vegetables while maintaining most of their nutrients, especially water-soluble compounds that are easily damaged by heat. Whether you use an electric steamer, a bamboo steamer, or a microwaveable plastic bag or dish, steam vegetables will retain more texture, flavor, and nutritional value when you prepare them with this indirect form of heat and moisture.
Also, I don’t recommend reducing the amount of sugar. Sugar isn’t only a sweetener because it also acts as a preservative. It helps to jam to stay long. I honestly never make jam for long-term storage. It goes in the fridge and gets consumed within a month or two.
Pumpkin Jam makes the most out of squash season, lusciously smooth, sweet, and rich with savory pumpkin notes and scented lightly with roasted cloves, cinnamon, and orange, lime for a comforting Autumn preserve.
Pumpkin – 300 gms (deseeded, peeled and cubed)
Sugar – 1/2 cup
Fresh orange juice – 1/4 cup
Juice of half lemon
Powdered spices – 1/4 tsp (cloves (3) & cinnamon (few) )
- Roast cloves & cinnamon for 30 seconds on low heat. Then let it cool and ground them into power.
- Cut the pumpkin, remove the peel and the inner seeds and cut into small pieces.
- Place the pumpkin pieces in a steamer basket in a pot. Add water to the pot so it reaches to the bottom of the steamer basket and steam the pumpkin pieces until completely cooked through; a paring knife will pierce the flesh easily and it will take about 15 minutes. During the steaming, add more water to the pot if necessary.
- Now mashed steam pumpkin with the help of fork or potato masher. You should have 1 cup pumpkin puree.
- Transfer pumpkin puree in a non-stick deep pan with sugar. Cook it for 15 minutes on low medium flame stirring continuously.
- After 15 minutes add orange and lime juice. Cook on medium-low flame for 10 minutes.
- Once jam starts to thickens switch off the flame. Allow jam to cool down completely. Then store in sterilized glass jar.
- Enjoy jam with warm toast.