Have you started any holiday baking yet? Thanksgiving is over and my house is decorated for Christmas, but I haven’t made any Christmas recipes yet. This is my first baking for Christmas – Apple Almond Cinnamon Cake with Jaggery. This delicious cake is made with whole wheat, apple, and jaggery. The Cinnamon adds a nice warm flavor to the cake making it even tastier. This recipe makes for a perfect healthy treat because there is no processed sugar added. So enjoy this recipe without worrying about the calories.
The process of baking desserts is a treat to watch, especially the careful additions of the ingredients and the precision that the techniques required to make the treats perfect. No matter how tempting they may seem, you obviously cannot binge on these desserts as and when you like because of the large number of calories added to them. But what if you had a chance to cut down on those calories?
Although you cannot reduce the use of sugar in baking, you can certainly replace it with jaggery which makes a healthier substitute having numerous antioxidants and nutrients. Considering jaggery is a sweeter option, you may have to re-calculate the amount put into the baking. It makes baked goods moist, flavourful, darker, and sweet.
Apple – 1 ( Grated)
Whole Wheat Flour – 1 cup + 1 tsp
Greek yogurt – 3/4 cup
Grated Jaggery – 3/4 cup
Powdered roasted almond – 1/4 cup
Refined Oil – 1/8 cup
Baking Soda – 1 tsp
Cinnamon powder – 1/4 tsp
A pinch of Himalayan pink salt
For Topping :
Apple – 1 (Thinly sliced)
Jaggery powder – 1/4 cup
Oil – 1 tbsp
Cinnamon powder – 1/4 tsp
Sliced almonds – 1/4 cup
Apple Jaggery Mixture
- Heat a pan and add grated (with skin) apple. Then add grated jaggery, cinnamon powder, salt and then lower the flame.
- Cook the mixture on a low flame and keep on stirring in between.
- Stir continuously and cook until almost moisture is evaporated until mixture turns thick. It takes 5-6 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and take out jaggery apple mixture in a plate. Let it cool for 10 minutes.
Topping– Coating Apple sliced
- Core an apple and cut into thin slices.
- In a bowl, combine cup of jaggery powder, oil and cinnamon powder. Mix well to make a paste.
- Add apple slices and coat them. Keep it aside.
- Dry Ingredients – In a bowl, sift flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Then add powdered roasted almond. Mix and keep it aside.
- Wet Ingredients – Mix oil and yogurt in a grinder until smooth.
- Mix both dry and wet mixtures with prepared apple jaggery mixture. Mix them well and make a smooth batter.
- Put prepared cake batter into a greased pan. Tap the cake pan on a countertop to release any large air bubbles.
- Arrange apple slices (coated with jaggery, cinnamon, oil mixture) and sprinkle some sliced almonds.
- Put the cake pan into the preheated wok and bake it for 1 hour.
- If cake batter looks dry, add 2- 4 tbsp of curd.
- Baking time may vary.
- If Baking in Oven: Bake in the preheated oven at 180 deg Celsius or around 360 Fahrenheit for about 60 minutes. The baking time may vary. So keep checking the cake after 40 to 45 minutes.
Pressure Cooker Method:
Grease the baking tin with oil and dust it by sprinkling whole wheat flour over greased surface evenly. Pour the mixture into the greased baking tin.
- Use the baking tin of 6 inches in diameter, so that it can easily get into the pressure cooker.
- Use a 5-liter pressure cooker. It should be big enough to hold the baking pan.
- Baking Tin should be made of Aluminium.
- If baking tin comes into direct contact with the base of the pressure cooker, it can burn ( overbake ) the cake. So use pressure cooker container which has big holes in it or any aluminum small stand.
- No gasket and whistle are needed. Remove them before baking.
- Don’t add water to the pressure cooker.
- Avoid baking without spreading salt at the bottom. Salt absorbs some heat from the extreme hot base and prevents overheating. I never used salt in my baking because I use a heavy bottom aluminum cooker and I am baking for the past 9 years in the same cooker. It works perfectly fine. But, it depends on the brand, quality of the pressure cooker. I use prestige 5 liters heavy bottom pressure cooker for baking.
How to Bake In A Pressure Cooker?
- Heat the pressure cooker on high heat for 8 minutes. Use sea salt or sand as a layer inside a cooker. Put a steel stand on a layer of salt or sand.
- Now put the cake tin containing the cake batter ( Do not put water inside the pressure cooker).
- Close the pressure cooker lid and do not put the whistle on the lid. Remove the gasket (rubber ring) from the lid.
- Lower the flame after 8 minutes. Let it bake for 50 -60 minutes on low flame. After 60 minutes check cake with a knife, if the mixture does not stick, it means the cake is done.
- If batter still sticks to knife then again bake for another 10 minutes. Do not open the lid immediately.
- Eggless Pressure Cooker Cake is ready.