When we think of carrots most of us think of them as being orange. Rainbow carrots are a mix of colorful carrot varieties picked at their immature stages for young harvest. Typical varieties that are grown for the mix are yellow stone, white satin, purple haze, black knight, nantes and atomic red making for a perfect array of tender-crisp, sweet and earthy carrots.
These carrots have a sweet aromatic taste and a fresh crisp texture similar to radish. Their sweetness allow them to be used more in fruit form for deserts, preserves and smoothies, but they are equally good in savory dishes. They generally cook faster than their counterpart.
This Gajar matar ki sabzi is a steamed and sauteed dry dish made with carrots, green peas and minimal spices. Though there are many variations of making carrot and peas dry sabji, this recipe is simple and quick to make with a handful of ingredients. This dish makes for an easy lunch or dinner on weeknights. Savor with a roti or paratha for a comforting healthy meal.
Rainbow carrots chopped – 500 gms
Frozen peas – 1 cup
Finely chopped cherry tomato – 5
Finely chopped coriander leaves – 1/4 cup
Slit green chilli – 2
Finely chopped garlic – 1 tbsp
Cumin – 1 tbsp
Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
Oil – 2 tbsp
Himalayan pink salt to taste
Fresh coriander leaves for garnishing
- Add oil in a pan and add cumin seeds till they turn aromatic.
- Then add grated garlic and slit green chilli cook till 15 seconds. Add chopped rainbow carrots and frozen peas with salt, red chilli powder, turmeric with coriander powder.
- Mix them well and cook for 10 minutes (covered).
- After 10 minutes add chopped cherry tomatoes. Saute till they turn soft and mushy (10 minutes).
- Garnish with fresh chopped coriander leaves.