Ganesh Chaturthi, also known as Vinayaka Chaturthi, is celebrated every year to mark the birth of Lord Ganesha. Ganesh Chaturthi takes place in the month of Bhadra, according to the Hindu calendar. Lord Ganesha is supposed to be a symbol of wisdom, luck, and good fortune. Vinayaka Chaturthi is celebrated for 10 days and involves bringing an idol of Lord Ganesha home. On the tenth day, the idol is immersed into the water and the ritual is known as Visarjan.
Bhagwan Ganesha loves sweets. Modak and Ladoo are the favorite sweets of Ganesha and often served as bhog. Besan Ladoo is an all-time favorite ladoo variety for any special occasion. It is very easy to prepare and requires just a handful of ingredients. Nothing beats a homemade mithai, especially one made with love. I made these ladoos for Ganesh Chaturthi Festival.
When you cook sweets, or any other food at home, it gives you complete control over what you are going to put in it. In this recipe, roasting Besan or Chickpea flour is the first and essential step that gives you the correct result. You have to saute till chickpea flour is aromatic and golden brown. If you do not saute the flour properly, the flour’s rawness will spoil the laddu’s taste, and if overdone, the laddus will have a burnt taste.
Besan – 2 cups
Powdered sugar – 1 cup
Ghee – 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp
Milk – 2 tbsp
Black cardamom (powdered) – 1
Few sliced almonds
- Add gram flour (besan) in a food processor(with chopper blade) add milk and 2 tbsp of ghee. Mix all ingredients in a food processor for 3- 4 minutes. The flour should resemble very fine breadcrumbs.
- Heat ghee in a pan over low flame. Mix gram flour and ghee over a low heat in a pan and constantly keep stirring to avoid lumps. Stir well for 10 to 20 minutes.
- When the flour turns light brown. Sprinkle some water drops and cook for 2 minutes.
- Then take off from heat and transfer into a plate.
- Once cool enough to handle. Add sugar, black cardamom powder and mix well.
- Keep prepared mixture covered for 40 minutes.
- Make small/medium laddus and garnish with sliced almonds.
- Store them in an airtight container. Serve as needed.