Dhokla is a vegetarian food item that originates from the Indian state of Gujarat. Dhokla can be eaten for breakfast, as the main course, as a side dish, or as a snack. Being steamed besan dhokla is healthy and nutritious too. It is my favorite breakfast.
Made from besan this dish is nutritious, low calorie, protein-rich recipe ideal for breakfast or snack time. But this Dhokla is little different. It’s Sugarless. Generally, we add sugar to make dhokla little sweet. So I replace sugar with orange juice or mousambi juice. It makes dhokla tastier and healthier.
For Besan Dhokla:
Besan – 1 cup
Curd – 1/2 cup
Water – 1/2 cup
Eno or Baking soda – 1 tsp
Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
Juice of one lemon
Salt to taste
Mustard Seeds or Rai – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 1/2 tsp
Water – 1 cup
Green chilli – 3
Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
Fresh orange juice – 1 cup
1/2 cup Pomegranate for garnishing
- Mix all above Dhokla ingredients except Eno and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Keep 2 cups of water in deep kadai and put a stand in it. Cover it and let it boil for 5 minutes. Now add Eno in a dhokla batter and pour 1 tsp of lemon juice over it. Mix it well.
- Pour Dhokla batter into greased pan and steam for 15-20 minutes.
- Check with a toothpick if it comes out clean then it’s done. Allow dhokla to cool completely.
- Heat oil in a small pan, first add the mustard seeds. Let them pop first. Now add chopped chilies.
- In bowl mix water, lemon juice and add this mixture to tempering and boil for a minute.
- Then pour this hot mixture over steamed besan dhokla.
- Keep aside for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes add fresh Orange juice and serve immediately.
- Add juice just before serving.
- Mosambi juice gives more sweet and tangy taste.