Here’s a fun take on the traditional south Indian Lemon Rice- this Lemon Quinoa has the same flavors as the rice but is more wholesome and protein-packed. Quinoa is pre cooked and tempered with mustard seeds, lentils, curry leaves, turmeric. Fresh Lemon juice makes it slightly tangy, further enhancing its taste and giving it a distinctive flavor. Vegan, Gluten-Free.
Quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah or ke-NO-ah) is often described as a “superfood” or a “supergrain,” is not actually a grain, but a seed. It grows from a plant in the goosefoot family and is considered very healthy – it contains all nine essential amino acids and is a great source of protein. There are many types of quinoa available in the market, most popular being creamy white, red, and black. They open up to release little white curls (like a tail) as they soften.For day-to-day cooking white quinoa is my favorite. I use white quinoa as a rice replacement in many recipes as its texture is super light and fluffy. I mostly use red or black quinoa in salads.
Cooked quinoa – 2 cups
Chana dal & Urad dal – 1/2 tbsp each
Dried red chilli – 2
Green chilli – 2
Roasted cashews & peanuts – 1/4 cup each
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Dried curry leaves – 6
Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 2 tbsp
Juice of one lemon
Himalayan pink salt to taste
Few fresh coriander leaves
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan. Add mustard seeds allow them crackle.
- Add chana and urad dal. Roast them until light golden. Now add curry leaves with green chilli and dried red chilli. Saute for a minute.
- Lower the heat and add salt with turmeric. Mix them well and add cooked quinoa.
- Cook for 2 minutes and then lemon juice. Cover it for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes add fresh chopped coriander leaves. Mix well and serve hot.